Sunday, March 27, 2011

Reflection on the Jazz Band Filming Project

Of course, this project was my first time operating a camera. I did not really know what to do. I only did what I was told, which I guess prevented me from completely botching the video. However, there were numerous glaring mistakes that I made. For example, I was wearing white and standing in wide shots all the time, in every single take. Me and Jacky also accidentally shot each other in one of the videos. Then, when I moved to operate the camera on the lift (for wide shots), I made the same mistake as the previous person - shooting many film crew and forgetting to move the camera.

There was also many ways the project could have been improved. For example, if we were taught what to do beforehand instead of on scene, we would not have screwed up as much. Also, non of us camera operators saw the rundown sheet and we missed many opportunities to shoot the solos (especially most of the trumpet solos were missed). I also did not really know when to move where, contributing to the confusion and the mistakes.

Overall, the project turned out decent enough, mostly due to our teacher's expertise in directing. If it had been one of the students (like me), the video would have been a nightmare to watch. Perhaps with more practice and preparation, our class can become more competent next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment